“A Search for God” Summary: Chapter 1 cont’d: Method of Cooperation
Not my will, O Lord, but Your will be done in me and through me. Let me ever be a channel of blessings, today, now, to all those that I contact in every way. Let my meditation be consistent with the way you want me to live my life ((let my going in, my coming out, be in accord with that thou would have me do)); and as You call me I will answer, “Here I am, Lord; send me and use me.”
Method of Obtaining Cooperation
- How can we learn cooperation? How can we become an individual person, and at the same time, have our purposes consistent with God’s will so that we may do His work? Jesus tells his disciples, “Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works.” (John 14:10 NASB)
First, we must look deep within ourselves. We must watch our daily thoughts and acts. And we must awaken our inner selves, through meditation.
- Definitions: 1. Thoughts: everything that we think about. 2. Acts: Every single thing that we
do and say, including the way we do things and the way we say things; every single action, both large and small.
Every day, let us be aware of all of our thoughts and acts because to Cooperate we must offer ourselves to be a channel of thoughts and acts; thoughts and acts that are consistent with the will of God. Even to the point that God’s Spirit would work through us that we may bless others by every thought and every act in our life. As the Christ says in John 14:31, “but so that the world may know that I love the Father, I do exactly as the Father commanded Me.” (NASB, italics added).
Cooperation, like Spiritual growth, comes step by step, piece by piece, by giving. By thinking of others, not ourselves. Whatever it is we want, we must give it! “Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.” (Gal 6:7 NKJV) Love, life, light, friendship, companionship, anything- you must give it before you can receive it. To cooperate, you must give yourself.
- Thoughts!!! Let us replace all of our negative thoughts with positive thoughts. PERIOD! Don’t think any unkind or negative thought toward anyone! “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.” (Mt 7:1-2) Instead, only think and say positive things toward everyone. Practice thinking kind thoughts toward people who have hurt you. “Then Peter came to him and asked, ‘Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?’ ‘No, not seven times,’ Jesus replied, ‘but seventy times seven!’” (Mt 18:21-22 NLT)
We must constantly be aware of our attitudes and our mindset. The way that we think is what will bring peace, harmony, and understanding; or it will bring fear, trouble, confusion, and doubt.
Don’t miss any opportunity to do those little acts of kindness that make such a big difference in the daily lives of others. Aren’t we children of God?! Haven’t we been baptized into Christ?! So then, let us live our lives just the way He wants us to live them! “Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.” (Col 3:12-13 NLT)
Begin now. “Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation..” (2 Cor 6:2 NKJV) Work! Work diligently and consistently. “Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!” (1 Cor 9:24 NLT)
Whenever we live our lives being right with God, the spirit of fear and doubt tries to creep in. Day by day, put those doubts out of your mind and replace them with thoughts of peace, harmony, and understanding. Not just forgetting about things, but actively dwelling on loving thoughts. Whatever we dwell on will then become a reality for us, and
what we dwell on, we become.
- There is virtue in the knowledge of God and of His laws. But this can not be for “self” or it becomes selfish. The purpose of this knowledge is to bless others and to strengthen others. We must cooperate with harmony and peace, which will open the way for greater understanding and even enlightenment, which can not come through arguing or negativity.
- “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5 NKJV) We must seek God deep inside of His temple, our bodies, through meditation. To get to know God, we must spend time with Him. Plan to meditate every day, even if it is only a few minutes. Make it a part of your daily life. Sunrise is a perfect time, if possible. Quiet your body, purify your emotions, and wait on the Lord. “Be still, and know that I am God.” (Ps 46:10) As we have an intense desire to be closer to Him, He will draw closer to us.
- As we enter meditation, we must remember that we will become what we dwell on. In this meditation on cooperation, visualize the force of harmony and love in action. As we live, we must practice what we have learned in meditation, in our deeds and in our thoughts, becoming channels of blessings to others. In doing so, we will experience that “peace of God, which surpasses all understanding.” (Phil 4:7 NKJV) We will be His channels.