Constipation is a huge problem in adults and children. The worst part of it is that most doctors don’t ever talk about it! ESPECIALLY PEDIATRICIANS! It’s horrible.
I remember when I was a medical student, this pediatrician told one mom that it was “normal” for a child to be constipated! She said that some kids have 1 bowel movement per day; and some have 1 EVERY 10 DAYS! And that’s NORMAL!
Holy God help us!
Well, when old poop sits in the colon, it causes tons of problems:
- toxic waste being reabsorbed in your body
- food gets rotten in your colon
- rotten food particles get absorbed into your blood stream
- skin problems, acne, rashes, psoriasis
- HEADACHES AND MIGRAINES.
- hemorrhoids, which can be very painful and annoying
- foul smelling gas
- embarrassing gas
- feeling tired and sluggish
- feeling fat
- feeling toxic
- feeling embarrassed by how bad your gas smells.
- chronic diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and Lupus.
Well thanks to goodness for modern technology, there is a cure.
This is what I use, I give it to my kids, and it’s generally safe to use for all ages. *** SEE UPDATES BELOW PLEASE*** (Not approved for use in children or for long term use)
The only side effect is that if you use too much, you’ll have loose stools. This is really only a problem for babies and infants.
If it it gives you a loose stool, LOWER THE DOSAGE. Simple.
***For babies, start with a very low dose, like one teaspoon per day, with the regular milk. Adjust the dose until they are having 1 excellent soft stool per day. (Not approved for use in children; see updates at the bottom)
If it doesn’t work, higher the dose, up to a whole scoop (1 heaping tablespoon) per day.
This stuff is AMAZING.
It’s not habit-forming.
It is minimally absorbed into the body.
It’s like diaper material- it just absorbs water, expands, and stays in the gut, keeping the stool very soft.
No I don’t sell it, and I’m not a shareholder in the company! It just really works well.
It’s called “Miralax,” but get the generic. Same stuff.
Buy it at any pharmacy.
I get mine in bulk from Amazon.com. It’s the Costco brand; I’m sure they have it at Costco also.
If you want to deeply cleanse your colon naturally and super healthily, read about Home Enemas or do the 3 day apple fast. I’ll tell you about that another time!
To a happy colon!
UPDATE TO THIS ARTICLE:
I want to apologize because maybe I jumped the gun on the Miralax.
I got an email reply delineating the possible side effects and limitations, so I after doing more research, I want to be more thorough with my information.
(btw, thank you to the replies!)
- Miralax is minimally absorbed because it is a large molecule. Some of it IS absorbed and excreted in the gall bladder and urine; in animal studies, this caused kidney or liver side effects when used in extremely high doses. So there is a residual of bad molecules floating around after use; it’s not 100% excreted through the colon.
- Technically, it is not approved for use in children. Many doctors still recommend it though because it has many advantages and less side effects than other stimulant laxatives, including that it is not habit forming and usually does not cause diarrhea, gas or bloating.
- There are situations when it should not be used, like in severe constipation or bowel obstruction. So you should always check with your doctor before using.
- There is a small amount of possible toxic substances from taking Miralax. This becomes a question of whether the risks of taking the medicine outweigh the benefits. Consider this next to all of the other toxic waste we put in our bodies, like all the pesticides we eat, all the other medications we take, and even worse, in all the white flour, fried foods, packaged foods, sugars, crackers, chips, fast food, and sodas we are consuming every day. It’s a personal choice and it all has to be considered.
- It is not approved for long term use. But it is used by many that way. When used long term, I think there may be more concern for toxicity, so maybe I can change my mind here and recommend it be used in spurts, as needed, instead of daily. My apologies.
Can you treat constipation naturally? Absolutely. How? I will address this in more detail in future posts, I promise. But if your constipated in the mean time, overall, Miralax is a really safe alternative, especially if taken for a few days to get things moving. Sometimes I do use senna based laxatives, and even Dulcolax.
Of course, Home Enemas are the best, and a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables, and lots of water, is the foundation.
Is there something natural that you do that helps you have great bowel movements? I’d love to hear it! Leave a reply below.